Saturday, June 25, 2011

Happy Camper



Like many of you, Brock and I are trying to make plans for the 4th of July weekend. The airlines have  taken any possibility of visiting a state that isn't bordering CA off the table (tickets to Iowa are $500+). We tossed around the idea of Vegas but hotels are expensive. We considered Arizona, with the heat surely they would have some great bargains, but no. So we have resigned ourselves that we will be staying at home. Until the topic of camping came up........


Exactly how we would look camping..minus the smiles and affection

 
Brock: What about camping? That's cheap.
Me: Knowing what you know about me, do you think I would like camping? (I was serious)
Brock: (thinking) Some parts... like hiking, being outdoors, camp fires (all true).....but you wouldn't like the bathroom situation and I don't think you would like the tent, you're usually cold. (also, true)
Me: (thinking I was in the presence of a master camper) Can you start a bonfire?
Brock: Yeah.....I mean, I'm pretty sure.
Me: (slightly wary of "master camper" title): Have you ever put up a tent?
Brock: Hmmmmm.......once, I think......I'm sure it's pretty easy. (Keep in mind our new self assembly BBQ has 5 legs)
Me: (feeling duped) Have you ever been camping?
Brock: Sure I have.
Me: When?
Brock: Once when I was 8.
Me: (blank stare)
Brock: It was with Cub Scouts...........
Me: (blanker stare)
Brock: (proudly) It was the Cub Scout Jamboree...

A staycation it is.

I believe it is pronounced "webelo"

 



No comments:

Post a Comment