Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Lazy Susans


We live near a community college that happens to have a very vibrant agricultural program and a couple of acres of "farm" land the college uses for crops and livestock. Try not to be too jealous. Each October the college blocks off a large area for a 4 week long Pumpkin Festival complete with trampolines, hayrides, festive decor including but limited to the likes of gourds and squash, and a potpourri of autumnal foliage. This is our conversation as we drove by the Pumpkin Patch.

Brock: I bet those really remind you of Iowa.
Me: What reminds me of Iowa?
Brock: All those Lazy Susans.
Me: What are you talking about?
Brock: The Lazy Susans out there in the field, you know those flowers with the brown in the center and the yellow on the outside.
Me: You mean Sunflowers?
Brock: Where do you get Sunflowers???
Me: That's the name of those flowers. They are called Sunflowers not Lazy Susans.
Brock: Are you sure?
Me: Yes, because they look like the sun.
(A few minutes goes by in silence)
Brock: You know that scrabble game I'm playing with the Math teacher?
Me: Yeah..
Brock: Well, I think he's cheating.
Me: Why do you think that?
Brock: He is using words I have never heard of......I think he is making them up.
Me: What's the score?
Brock: I'm behind by about 200 points.
Me: How is that even possible?
Brock: I accidentally hit "pass" a couple times.

1 comment: